Whenever I go shopping at the "big box" stores, or even "small box" stores, I am always struck by the many zombies that are walking among us. Zombies I tell you. Just walking about, vacant looks in their eyes, leaving their carts in the middle of the aisle. Seemingly overwhelmed by the gazillion choices of dog and cat food or breakfast cereals, they stand beside their carts, staring blankly. Frozen in fear of making the wrong decision I suppose. And when you are trying to navigate the aisles with your own oversized cart, they are oblivious to your very presence. Scary.
And let's not forget the vampires! The people who just seem to suck the very energy out of whatever room they are in. Normal conversation -- give and take, back and forth, listening and actually hearing, giving feedback and hearing yours -- is not something these folks are seemingly interested in. Draining the very life-blood from you as you are forced into a passive stance, listening, listening, always listening and never being heard. And needing to take a nap whenever you leave them.
Oh my word, I know how negative this sounds, but there are times when I feel like vampires and zombies are all I encounter. And my biggest worry is when I find myself manifesting my own vampire or zombie tendencies! Argh! I guess it just takes remaining aware and not succumbing to the siren song of the dark world of the vampires and zombies among us.
Here are some ways that help me combat the plagues of vampirism and zombie attacks:
1. Stay aware of my own tendencies to retreat into my own world and not be aware of the world around me.
2. Breathe deeply and always remind myself that there, but for the grace of God, go I.
3. Take care of myself and limit my exposure to situations that are not life-affirming and nourishing to my soul.
4. Get a vaccinated by going to places that inspire me like art museums, botanical gardens, the ocean, the desert or just for a long walk.
5. Find a peaceful place and just sit a spell, empty my mind and start again.
Thanks for baring with me. What do you do to cope with the vampires or zombies in your life?