One of those things for me has been writing this blog. I noticed I last wrote a QT&M entry in February. I did to okay keeping up the 40 Days of Giving Up during the Lenten season; but since then, I have kinda let other things take control. Don't get me wrong! A hiatus now and than can be good for the spirit and the soul. It can allow the recharging of one's inner lights and lead to a fresh outlook. The important thing is that it doesn't become a permanent state. I have to say, I thought maybe I was going down that path. But here I am, the start of a new month, and the verge of starting a personal new year (this is the month of the anniversary of the day my mother pushed me out into the world...literally). So here goes. Here are five things I am doing today (right now) to start the new month.
1. PONDER I like that word. It sounds sort of wistful, sort of sage-like, deep, considered. Taking time to just ponder life and get acquainted again with the state of my existence, where I am and where I want to go.
2. START That's a tough one sometimes. I have found that if I never start, I will never finish...anything. So here I am starting by writing a blog. I just finally told myself to sit down and write something, anything. What spills onto paper might be pure garbage (can garbage ever be pure? See I pondered a bit while starting), but it is a start! That is all I can ask myself to do.
3. RELAX I forget this one. I tend to keep myself busy and when not busy, I sleep. Or I eat. Or I do anything to keep from just relaxing and enjoying a moment in meditation or reflection. So today I relaxed a bit. Sit and did nothing. It was good. And I didn't feel guilty at all. Amazing. But I did feel good when I was done.
4. TALK TO SOMEONE YOU TRUST This I think is very important. Today I spoke with two people, one by phone, one in person. The friend on the phone always makes me feel a bit better. She is funny and I can be silly with her and even though I don't always treat her as she would like, she forgives quickly and we move on. The other person I saw in person. She is my financial advisor. We usually have a scheduled meeting every six months more or less. It is my time when I get to go over all my finances and investments that I hope will see me through the remainder of my days. It is a time to review and re-budget and plan. This works for me because I tend to get into magical thinking, believing it will all be okay, etc. It will, but it is important to be a good steward of your resources too.
I find it very useful to talk with people I know will give me honest feedback...act as a "mirror" when I need one. I plan to keep this up. The results are always very beneficial.
5. MAKE MISTAKES "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." Who said that? I looked it up. Good old Ben Franklin! And he would know. He ventured over and over into areas that could have really messed him up, like flying that kite in the lightning storm. But he wasn't afraid to make mistakes. So I am doing that. Today I tried to install some window coverings in my house. I drilled a hole in the wrong place. I put the bracket on upside down. But each was easily fixed. And now I have some nicely covered windows!
Okay, those are five things for the first of the month. I am not sure if I am going to write in this blog every day. TIme will tell. I do know that I need some discipline, something to hold me accountable. Actually, that could make a good number 6 in this exercise: BE ACCOUNTABLE. For that I need to set deadlines and enlist the help of others...like you maybe, especially if you have read to the end of this particularly long entry. Let me know.
So I'll put this out there: one thing I have been kicking around is doing a food blog. It would be about food and what it means to me beyond satisfying hunger. You know, emotionally, spiritually...memories associated...sensations experienced....etc....and so one. Yep, I think that's a good idea. So look for that in your email box soon. In the meantime, let me know what you think of the five plus one things I did for the beginning of this month. When you do comment, it makes me feel like someone is actually reading and hearing me too.